We all get caught up in our day to day work. Here are some things to keep in mind during your daily journey. What reminders do you have?
- Learning is not about learning, it’s about performance.
- Often times you have to move backwards with your partners before moving forward.
- Use terms that resonate with your partners, it differs in each company and within a company.
- Workplace learning is complicated
- L&D ego, don’t let it get in the way. L&D supports the business, not the other way around.
- Learning drives business but not the way you think.
- Find out what is important to an influential business leader, then help support that.
- Most of what you do won’t matter – focus on the 20% (80/20 rule).
- L&D doesn’t have a monopoly on learning.
- Not all learning needs are equal or should be met.
- Get out more and listen to your partners. If you’re mostly talking with other L&D professionals, you’re out of touch.
- What you create must be maintained. People seem to forget this in the building process.
- Keep your return on visibility (ROV) high and be where the business is.
- Compliance training is part of what you do.
- Sometimes helping is getting out of the way.
- The LMS is just a tool. It’s not good or bad but how you do and don’t use it.
- Training is still a solution for some issues. Don’t feel ashamed when it is.
- Work with what you have within your company and don’t focus on what you don’t have.
- Spend time experiencing a “day in the life of” the people you support.
- Be a participant in a learning experience you created.
- Not all projects you work on will involve the latest and greatest technology.